Fear.

3/09/2017

Fear.

That all encompassing feeling that stops us in our tracks. The dark cloud that we all try to ignore but we can't, because deep down we know there's a storm overhead. The feeling that consumes you so much you can't escape from it.

Fear.

The weakness of man.

No matter what you are told, everyone is scared of something. Everyone. Whether its the monster under their bed or the fear of losing the one they love, their fear is real. It exists. Sometimes it presents itself in the most violent of ways, and other times it creeps up on you so slow that you don't feel it until you're doing the thing that scares you most. You could be up in a plane about to do a skydive and then it hits you when you here the word 'Jump'. You could find yourself trapped in a small space and it makes you want to kick and scream and panic until you're free. Fear. It's a funny thing. The same feeling that stops a little boy going to bed at night, also brings a grown man to his knees. We are all scared of something.

Me? I'm scared of flying and spiders. Small spaces and big crowds. Failing and Death. Loving too much and not being loved at all. These are my weaknesses. Some stop me in my tracks, others are like a quiet niggling that will destroy me in my sleep if I let them. They consume me all at once, and then not at all. Sometimes I think I've conquered them, and then they prove me wrong when I least see it coming. It's an ongoing war that won't be won on either side. Thats how fear works. It plays tricks on you until you think you've won, then it shows you who's boss. It doesn't want to win, it just doesn't want you to win either. It's your own personal little joker.

But here's what fear doesn't know - It can be channelled. Let the fear that stops you in your tracks become the adrenaline that gets you moving again. Let your heart race for the right reasons. Fear was designed to stop us. Adrenaline was designed to keep us going. So, I guess that's the real war isn't it? Do we stop and walk away, or do we jump? Either way we'll be scared out of our skin, but only one of those ways do we get to conquer our fear, if only for a moment, before we're crippled by the next thing that scares us.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images