Album Review: Divide - Ed Sheeran

3/03/2017

So, today is the third of March 2017, meaning today is the day that Ed Sheeran dropped his new, much anticipated album 'Divide'. I decided to write a post giving you my honest opinion on each song. I'm not down with all the technical lingo so i wont be able to give you a proper description of the songs, just my opinion. I highly recommend you listen to the album (with tissues and your dancing shoes) to fully understand what I'm on about!

Eraser - For me, Eraser is a progression of classic Sheeran. He truly is an incredible lyricist. Singing about the down sides of the industry and job he's found himself in, I can't help but think Ed is incredibly brave for coming forward and singing in the such true manner that he does, and this continues throughout the album. One thing i really love about this song is the several levels to it, sometimes its just stripped back and raw and then others it's so full on.

Castle on the Hill - where do i start with this little charmer? Singing about growing up in his hometown of Framlingham, Suffolk, Sheeran provides an upbeat song that everyone can relate to from the days they grew up, discussing first kisses, drinking and many more things teens get up to. The song encourages the listener to think back to their own upbringing, and if you're anything like me the song with have you smiling at many points as it reminds you on anecdotes from your youth. The love Ed has for his hometown is beautiful, and the feeling he puts into the song is reflected in his voice in such an impressive manner.

Dive - I really can't think of the way to describe this song! It builds so beautifully and the roughness in Ed's voice is gorgeous. I love all the backing elements we have with this song, and we don't often get them with his songs! The electric guitar we get in the middle adds such a fantastic dimension to the song before kicking back in with the incredible roughness of Eds voice.

Shape of You - I love this! It's so different for Ed! Ed spoke about how he took some convincing to put this on the album, and then more convincing for him to also release it as a single, but i'm so glad he did! I find the song difficult to come to grips because in some ways this is so different for Ed but in other ways it's hard to imagine him not releasing this song, it suites him so well! It's nice that he's released an upbeat song that has already proved to be a hit and is a banger in nightclubs across the globe. Shape of You also provides a nice chilled back listen that the album really needs before the emotional stuff really kicks in.

Perfect - Okay, so who wouldn't have this as their first dance song? I love how much he loves his current girlfriend, and ex-classmate Cherry Seabourne. If i was her i would die a thousand deaths every time i heard this song. It made me an emotional wreck within 10 seconds. It is very 'Thinking Out Loud' in nature but there seems to be so much more truth and personal experience behind this song - i can imagine him getting emotional singing it for some reason? It really is the staple first dance song we all know Ed is great at creating.

Galway Girl - The first of the Irish influenced songs on the album, paying tribute to his paternal grandparents heritage. I can't help but feel disappointed that this isn't the cover of the song 'Galway Girl' from P.S. I Love You that i was expecting, but i like the song non the less. I think this song will grow on me the more I listen to it, because i honestly wasn't huge on it the first time I heard it. It may just be that it combines so many different types of music that i don't know what to make of it, but we'll see.

Happier - A heart breaker, Ed sings of seeing an ex with someone else, a notion many can relate to. The album really explores many different emotions, this song is a complete 180 flip from 'Galway Girl'. However, I think this really shows the diversity this man has and truly does  his talent justice.

New Man - Again, a complete switch from the song before. I like to think of this song as the 'middle finger' of the album. It really is the perfect 'f*** you'. The song is actually also quite lyrically funny, which isn't unusual for Ed. Overall, I love this song, i think it'll be the song i angrily clean my room to when i'm in a bad mood, and by the end of it i'll be having a proper dance.

Hearts Don't Break Around Here - I genuinely don't know how he does it! Another beautiful little love song. The type you slow dance to as you try not to cry and fall apart at how perfect the moment is. Again, you can really feel the love he has for his girl in this song, she's one lucky egg. The impressive thing is how incredibly he manages to put this love into words, because i struggle to name someone who does this as well as him.

What Do I Know? - Bringing the mood back up, this song is just cool I and can't help but have a little boogie to it. For the weirdest of reasons, certain bits of this song remind my of the theme song for 'The Cleveland Show', but that's definitely just me! I'm honestly struggling with stuff to say for this one, just because i can't stop dancing long enough to actually think about it !

How Would You Feel (Paean) - I could be wrong but i believe 'Paean' is a song of a tribute to a certain person, so again, i bet his girlfriend is a puddle of tears every time she hears this. I don't know whether it's insulting to describe this album as a wedding album but it has the perfect mix of upbeat, dancing songs and romantic slow dance ballads that this album would play perfectly at a wedding, (although it is destined for so much more than that!). Perhaps you'd take Happier off the playlist though, the newly weds might not appreciate it. Moving on, again with this sexy electric guitar he keeps bringing into his songs, i blooming love it, it adds a whole other kind of groove to the song.

Supermarket Flowers - I was not emotionally prepared for this song - it is gorgeous. I could be horrifically wrong but i believe this was written about his grandma? The sadness in this song is enough to jerk tears from the most emotionless of people, it's so raw. You song really breaks for Ed when you hear this song, i'm yet to listen to it without crying all the way through. The lyrical break in the middle of this song is hauntingly beautiful and puts in me in a state of awe of every time.

Extended Edition

Barcelona - The furthest switch from Supermarket Flowers, this song is just fun with an incredibly Spanish influence (obviously). I dig Ed singing Spanish in some of this song, even if I don't know what he's saying. I love that it brings in loads of different instruments, it really adds to the fun of the song.

Bibia Be Ye Ye - Again, just pure fun. This is the sort I imagine playing in Nando's (and no that's not an insult!). I love that he only put these song's on the extended edition because that's what they are, a nice little bit of fun at the end, I don't think I'd have liked them if they were in the place of one of the other songs on the normal edition of the album. This is really one to have a boogie and laugh with your best friend too!

Nancy Mulligan - Again, I believe this is about his grandparents and the Irish influence in this song is so much fun and such a refreshing thing to listen to. I need to learn how to Irish dance just for this song, I imagine a large group of people dancing to this at folk festival, it's so much fun and just something so different. This seems like something that would just be sung off the cuff, in the most positive way possible it just seems so busked.

Save Myself - This song is exactly what i needed to here. If you've read my previous blog post about felling overwhelmed, you'll be able to understand why i relate to this song. If you've not read it you can check it out here. I truly believe this is a song that everyone needs at some point. It has such a 'lifting' element, i feel like a massive weight is off my shoulders by the end of the song. This song is like a deep breath of fresh air that we all take to help us through trying times. I honestly think this is one of my favourites, and it is a gorgeous ending to the extended edition.


So that's it! My review of Divide (Extended Edition). I know that some of you will think me being a huge Ed Sheeran fan has made me biased, and it probably has, but i tried my hardest to be as honest as I could in this review. The problem is, it is so hard to critique greatness - which this album is.

Until next time,

Laura xoxo

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images